Thanks to Jorden for being awesome minute-taker!
The minutes of the meeting are here: 25_10-2010 Minutes
Please be aware of all ACTION items in the minutes (they are highlighted in red) – also, there are a few volunteer opportunities to be aware of (also highlighted in red):
- Volunteering for Storybook project
- Volunteering with bookclub(s)
- Volunteering with the EPL book borrowing project
- Volunteering on the fundraising committee to put on a art show/fundraiser at Latitude 53 in the new year
Thanks to everyone who attended and to all those who submitted reports/regrets!
We had a very productive committee meeting at the prison on June 21, 2010. We were lucky to have Cathee at the meeting to answer many of our questions and contribute to our plans and discussions. Thanks to so many of our committee members coming out – we had 16 in attendance!
Our plan to host the next meeting at the prison again – stay tuned for the suggested date and time (probably in September.)
You can read the minutes of the meeting here: 21_06_2010minutes
Thank you to Laura for being the awesome note-taker!
The minutes from our last meeting (Feb.24th) are here. Please let me know if anything needs to be changed or added.
The next general meeting of the GELA Prison Library and Reintegration committee will be held: Thursday, February 25th at 5:30 pm at Henderson Hall at the University of Alberta.
For those of you unfamiliar with Henderson Hall - you can access it from the Rutherford South Atrium entrance at the University of Alberta. There is some street metered parking as well as surface lots (rates drop after 4:30 pm)
Agenda items include:
- reports from subcommittees:
- CLA presentation,
- bookdrive (wish list etc)
- technological literacy for the women
- fundraising ideas
You can read the minutes from the December 2009 meeting here.
See you next week!
The GELA prison library and reintegration committee received two beautiful cards from some of the EIFW women last week. One is from Cathee who addressed it to “all of our volunteers and supporters from GELA” . Wishing us a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2010, she also wrote:
On behalf of the women at EIFW, I’d like to thank you for all that you’ve done for us. Your generosity and support are greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays!
Another card was addressed to “all of our Storybook Volunteers” and is signed by many of the Storybook Project participants with the message:
”Merry Christmas to all of you. Thank you very much for bringing us closer to our children.”
We will have these cards to show all of you at the next committee meeting.
Thanks to everyone who was able to make it out to the meeting last week – we had 11 people show up and it was great to see some new faces! Welcome everyone!
Laura was awesome and took minutes – thank you Laura! You can read them here: Minutes2009_12_10
The next committee meeting will be this Thursday, December 10 at 5:30 at the Legal Resource Centre (201, 10350-124 Street.) We will try to keep the meeting to about 1 or 1 1/2 hours.
Hope to see you there!
At the last committee meeting, we discussed having a Book Club Subcommittee (I suppose that would be a sub-Subcommittee..?). I’d like to have a meeting within the next few weeks, but I recognize that October can be very busy. Nevertheless, I’m going to throw out a few dates in October and a couple in November. I was thinking of holding it at Remedy (close to the U of A and on a bus route) at 5:30 – does that work for everyone?
[FYI - The next book club meeting at the prison is on November 7th & the book is A Thousand Splendid Suns]
Here are a few dates:
(this Friday) October 16th
(next Friday) October 23rd
Tuesday, October 27
Monday, November 3rd
Thursday, November 5th
Can we schedule a committee meeting sometime this month? With such a large group it’s hard to find a date that is perfect but which of the following dates works best for people?
Thursday, September 17 at 5 p.m.
Tuesday, September 22 at 5 p.m.
Wednesday, September 30 at 5 p.m.
Saturday, October 3 in the afternoon (UPDATED TO ADD: I don’t think this date will work since the Community Bookshelf committee is getting organized for Homeless Connect and I think many of the prison committee also volunteers with the CB committee)
Do people have a preference for either at Henderson Hall or at the Legal Resource Centre? Or the Empress?
Thanks to Valla – we now have our minutes from our last meeting. Please check them out for any action items that may require your attention.
You can read them here: MinutesJune242009
Thanks again Valla!
It was also great to have Dale Storie attend the meeting representing the GELA executive – thanks for the support!
Please mark your calendars: the next prison library commitee meeting will be on Wednesday, June 24 at 5:30 p.m. at Henderson Hall at SLIS.
I’ll post a reminder as we get closer to the date. For those of you who can’t make it, please let us know if you are interested in volunteering for:
- Book club (year long project)
- Storybook Project (year long project)
- Library space revitalization (summer project)
- Men’s Healing Centre (Pe Sakastew) book drive
- Treasurer (keeping track of donations / receipts / funds)
Here are the minutes from our last Prison Committee meeting. Many thanks to Masha for the note-taking! Please read through and make note of any of the ACTION items.
And remember, if you are interested in getting involved in:
- improving the library space / setting up legal materials section, or
- bookclub, or
- storybook project, or
- any other idea you might have
Please let us know!
February 17/09 Meeting Minutes
Based on the responses on the blog and via email – the best meeting date is Tuesday, February 17. We’ll hold the meeting at the Legal Resource Centre (#201, 10350- 124 Street) at 5 pm. There will probably be wine. There is street and residential parking around the building.
There is a LOT going on within the committee these days so it will be really important to catch everyone up with the latest and greatest.
Agenda items will include updates about:
- Practicum student
- Upcoming Education Institute / Alberta Library Conference sessions
- Storybook project (9 women signed up)
- Bookclub (16 women signed up!)
- Screening of “100 Stories about my Grandmother”
- Partnership with U of A libraries – new bookdrive?
- Legal materials section / library spruce up (new signage / posters / brochure rack)
Hope to see many of you there – minutes will be taken and posted here on the blog after the meeting for all those who are unable to make the meeting.
Just wanted to throw some dates out there for our next committee meeting – please let everyone know what works best:
- Wednesday, Feburary 11 – 5:30pm
- Tuesday, February 17 – 5:30 pm
- Wednesday, February 18 – 5:30 pm
- Thursday, February 26 – 5:30 pm
Location? Back on the north side of the river? Tanya and I are happy to host a meeting at the Legal Resource Centre (10350 -124 Street.)
Thanks to Moyra for taking minutes last night and getting them so quickly typed up and available! And thanks too to Karra for coming out and sharing her knowledge with us. It was great to see so many from FLIF and SLIS at the meeting – thank you Masha for arranging a really perfect meeting room.
If you are unable to read the attached minutes – let me know and I can send them to you via email. Please make note of the action items identified from the meeting.
Also: Eight of us can commit to once a month as of now. We need to communicate to set up times when we are going to the prison so that people without cars can try and coordinate with people who have cars.
If you are ready to start a project (i.e. bookclub, one-on-one literacy, library visit etc) – go ahead and contact Karra (email@example.com ) and start the project. Please let the rest of the committee know (via blog) so that others might help out or catch a ride.
One more thing: Liz Fulton Lyne just completed her Anatomy of a Setup training this week – so that’s one more person fully trained! Excellent!
Wednesday, November 26 at 5:30 p.m. @ Henderson Hall, School of Library & Information Studies (U of A)
The door to Henderson Hall will be propped open for those coming in from Rutherford Library entrance. For those who are unfamiliar with the building, that’s the Rutherford South Atrium entrance.
If you run into problems with finding Henderson, please call Masha on her cell (780-920-4321) and she can walk you through it.
As far as parking goes, the meters along the perimeter of campus cost $2.50 per hour. The surface lot rates drop to $3.75 after 4:30pm.
See you all then! (Those who are unable to come – we will be (I hope!) creating some sub-sub-committees who will be taking on responsiblities for various projects like: bookclub, literacy, policy etc. You can still sign up with those committees and get involved! All info will be shared on this blog.)